Pattern: Simplicity 4171
Fabric: 100% Rayon
Notions: Ten 5/8" buttons
- I lengthened front and back pieces by 2" because I felt I was a lot taller than the model on the envelope.
- I lengthened the sleeves by 1".
- Re-shaped pockets on lower edge corners from round to square.
- Changed pockets by adding a pleat and a flap. As a guide, I used the pocket pieces from View A.
- Omitted belt loops (carriers).
- Topstitched collar.
Even though after completing this dress, I wish I had used the long-sleeve version of McCall's 4769, because (1) the bodice and the skirt are cut separately and I could have made the bodice in one size without a FBA and the skirt in one size larger. And also (2) the skirt in that pattern is cut on an A-line which would have captured the look of my inspiration dress more. Overall, I like this dress and I do plan on wearing it. I will probably accessorize it with a wider belt for more of a cinched waist.
This was a very easy pattern to follow since this was a Threads Magazine Collection pattern and they are known for their "Step by step to sewing success!" instrustuctions. Will I sew this one again? Probably so, I'm already thinking of doing Version A in corduroy.