I wanted to slip this post in as my final post of 2015. I wanted something casual for NYE because tonight is really laid back for us. We don't normally go out on NYE, we stay in and guzzle champagne and bring in the new year. As an added plus, the Cotton Bowl is on tonight (ROLL TIDE, ROLL).
This is newly released Simplicity 8045 (I would link to it, but the site doesn't recognize its own pattern number), but with a quite a few changes. I was originally inspired by this dress:
It's Anthropologie's Sojourn Sweater Dress. And Simplicity 8045, was close enough. Let's start with the changes I made:
- I removed the ruching from the front and back.
- I lengthened View B by 8 inches... FYI, it's really short.
- I lenthened the sleeves by 7.5 inches and left the hems unfinished. My sweater knit does not fray or unravel.
- I removed the ruching from the collar and removed 3 inches from the length.
- Instead of the recommended 1/4" wide elastic, I used 3/4" wide and significantly shortened the length. Due to the weight of my sweater knit, my elastic needed to be tighter for a more secure fit.
- And I decided that I liked the hem of the dress left unfinished as well. The hem slightly rolls, but I'm okay with that as a design detail.
My fabric is a black and white tweed sweater knit from Hancock Fabrics. It cut and sewed well with a Ballpoint needle. I didn't press the sweater knit. Once it was sewn, I steamed it while it was on my dress form.
See you all in the new year!