It's no secret that I love blazers! So it shouldn't be a surprise that I'd want a summer suit. One with shorts in particular.
This outfit started with the fabric. I bought this blue and white striped chambray weight cotton fabric last year when Hancock fabrics was going out of business. It was dirt cheap, so I bought like 5 yards.
I had intentions of making a summer suit. I wavered a bit on what else I could do with the fabric, but it came right back to the suit.
I was asked on Instagram if this jacket was easy. And my answer is a resounding 'NO'. It seems like I always read or hear other sewing bloggers raving on about how quick, easy and simple something is to sew.
Well, this isn't one of those sewing projects. This isn't one that you'll finish in an afternoon. This blazer isn't hard in a technical sense. It's unlined and has a bias bound trim. It's extremely tedious and you have to be downright meticulous and take your time when applying it. Or you'll end up with a hot mess!
This jacket is really fitted. But it does have cup sizes which save so much time from having to do a FBA. I cut the size 14 with the C cup. I added an inch to the length of the jacket and also to the sleeves. I cut myself some slack on this version by just serging the seams and only binding the facings. I feel it looks just as neat as a full-blown Hong Kong finish.
I created custom shoulder pads and covered them in my fabric.
I used metal brass and silver buttons from my stash.
I went slightly smaller on the two front buttons. I used 7/8" instead of 1" buttons. It's so difficult to find matching buttons in multiple sizes without having to order them.
And I made sure the stripes all lined up as much as possible.
I cut the size 14 and I added about 2 inches to the length and widened the leg a little. I'm so pleased with how this turned out!