When I saw this pattern, I knew it was meant to be. See, I'd been stalking this dress for like the last year:
It's the Reformation Gavin Dress.
And for pre-fall, McCall's released M7971.
It has all of the components of the designer dress. I just made a couple of minor modifications to get it to look more like how I wanted it to look.
Sometimes on replicated designer looks, I feel that the pattern companies water down the looks. They try to make them more "home sewer appropriate". As if the same sewist that is attracted to the pattern wouldn't be attracted to the designer dress.
My fabric is Italian Mustard Animal Printed Stretch Polyester from Mood Fabrics.com. This is a cup sized pattern. That's always good. At least I didn't have to make any full bust adjustments. I cut the size 14, with the D cup. I didn't find that I needed any additional length at all.
For the back, I opened it up a little wider than the pattern and more like the designer dress. The pattern has a keyhole opening in the middle of the back. So, it's not exactly bra-friendly. I decided, what the hell... let's just go for it. I made a one inch sway back adjustment and it still didn't lay as flushed to the body as I would've liked. I'm thinking if I make another version, I'm going to use a knit fabric with more give, and maybe drop down a size. And instead of lining the back of the bodice, I'll finish it with bias binding.
Instead of the suggested hook and eye closures for the back, I used Rouleau loops and buttons.
The longer midi length was perfect right out of the envelope. And it has pockets! I cut the skirt in the size 16. I raised the thigh-high slit by 5 inches.
I used stay tape to stabilize the slit and reduced my stitch length to about 1.6mm and made sure it was good and reinforced so that the stitches won't break and the slit opening up even higher.
I love this dress so much, and I hope I get around to making it again.