I can't believe it's already July 1st! We're halfway done with this year. Wow... time is flying by. I've been feeling like I haven't been sewing a lot as compared to my prior years. But that just tells me that I have nice and full wardrobe that's efficiently working for me. I've added some really cute pieces this season, but I have a lot of things from previous seasons that are still in major rotation. Cheers to effective wardrobe building!
So, with saying all of that, I can guilt-free enjoy sewing things I like rather than sewing things I absolutely need. Which leads me to this really adorable two-piece outfit. As with suits, sewing matching sets just increases your wardrobe by adding new amazing separates.
I found this amazingly fun fabric at Mood Fabrics.com. It's the Jadeite and Bright Orange Floral Cotton Twill. It's a lightweight twill... a little heavier than a poplin and it sews like a dream. I prewashed and pulled it straight from the dryer and it smoothed out with the iron perfectly.
The top is McCall's 7929, view A. Right off the bat, I know that the button-up back wasn't going to work for me. Trying to button up the back and twisting the top round, and working my arms through the sleeves really didn't appeal me to me... at all.
So, I decided to modify the back by created a center back panel of shirring. This way, I can just pull it over instead of struggling alone or needing an extra set of hands.
A couple of years ago, I made Mikaela a shirred bodice dress and created a tutorial. You can check it out here.
The skirt is McCall's 7725, view C.
I finished my seams with a Hong Kong finish. And a button and buttonhole instead of a hook and eye.
And I added an inch to the length of the upper part of the skirt. I left the hem of raw because I felt the skirt would would hang better.