If you have thinning hair, it’s easy to feel self-conscious about it.
The truth is that there are lots of things that you can do about it and ways to style it so that your hair looks just as full and thick as you would want it to!
Read on to find out more.
● Stress. When we are stressed, our bodies release cortisol, which actually attacks hair follicles and prevents new hair growth. If you have experienced a sudden stressful event recently or have been dealing with stress and anxiety for a long time, then it’s possible that this is the cause of your hair loss. Addressing the causes of stress through lifestyle changes and therapy and lowering your cortisol levels will mean that hair growth should return to normal within a few months.
● Malnutrition. If you are eating a restrictive diet, then it’s possible that you aren’t getting all of the nutrients you need to support healthy hair growth. Our hair needs a good supply of B-Vitamins, Omega-3’s, Iron, and Protein in order to grow thick and full. Taking a look at your diet and ensuring that it is giving you everything you need is a great way to promote hair growth.
● Hormone changes. Our hormone levels directly impact our hair growth, so if you have recently become pregnant or given birth, or if you are on birth control medication that contains hormones, then this could be the culprit. If you think this is the case, then consult your physician, who will be able to advise on the best course of action.
● Medical conditions. Conditions affecting the thyroid, in particular, are a cause of hair loss, so if you aren’t sure why your hair is thinning, it’s worth getting it checked out so that your physician can rule out a medical problem.
● Medication. Some medications can cause hair loss as a side effect. If this is the case for you, then consult your physician, who may be able to recommend an alternative.
The most common reason that women lose their hair is down to genetics. Some of us are just predisposed to start losing our hair at a certain age, and no dietary or lifestyle changes will be able to reverse it.
How to style thinning hair
Both short and long hairstyles can work well on people with thin hair, provided they are well-considered. If you have thin hair, consider getting a pixie cut, an asymmetrical bob, or play with adding curls to your hair to increase the texture.