McCall's 5525 - Trench Jacket12:15 AM
Pattern: McCall's 5525, View C
Fabric: Linen Foil (Linen 56%, Cotton 42%, Elastene 2%)
Lining: China Silk (100% polyester)
Notions: 12 1" buttons, 1 5/8" button, shoulder pads and heads
Pattern sizing: 8 - 24W. I cut the size 14.
Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it? Yes, it did.
Were the instructions easy to follow? Yes, they were.
Fabric used: I found this very interesting looking linen fabric at Hancocks. I saw it, fell in love with it instantly and knew that I would use it for this project! We've been debating on the actual color. The shine of the fabric gives it an iridescent appearance. It's somewhere between a slate grey and a light blue. I wanted the lining to be fresh and springy, so I chose a citrus yellow.
Pattern Alterations or any design changes you made: Here are the changes that I made:
- Made a 1" princess seam FBA (my normal).
- Used muslin for sew-in interfacing for the front sections, the collar and the collar band.
- Used nylon tricot interfacing for all of the smaller pieces.
- Changed the undercollar from a 1 piece to a two piece and cut it on the bias.
- Adjusted the undercollar for turn of cloth.
- Taped the lapel roll line.
- Added a back stay to stabilize shoulder area of jacket.
- Added sleeve heads.
- Topstitched with rayon embroidery thread.
- Added the front yoke to both sides.
- Used a keyhole type buttonhole.
- In my opinion, the button bands on the sleeves were too long. I shortened mine by 2".
- I followed the instructions on the lining. This means a lot of handstitching for those of you that have an aversion.
- I handstitched the all of my hems and slipstitched the lining to the sleeves and the hem of the jacket.
Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others? I will sew another version of this one again for the cooler seasons. Next time I'll use an "all-weather" fabric or use this style in wool. I highly recommend this one for the style and the wide variety of sizes.
Conclusion: I really love this jacket already! According to Mr. Meteorologist, I'll get a chance to wear it in a day or so.