It's been a while since I've sewn anything for Amber. And since I've been in the mindset of sewing for the girls, we made this happen.
She needed a dress to wear to a wedding this evening. And of course, me being me, I totally procrastinated. I ended up cutting, sewing and fitting this dress on yesterday. I pressed it and put it on a hanger at 3 a.m. Sleep is for mere mortals!
I used New Look 6208, with modifications. Instead of using the pattern's open-back version, I created my own and used a satin ribbon as a closure. Amber is also quite petite, she's 5‘2" and she's pear shaped. So I cut a size 8 and graded out to a 14. I made a petite adjustment at the waist by removing an inch. And I also gave the skirt a subtle high-low hem by removing 4-6 inches from the hem. And I fully lined the dress. And I moved the zipper to the back and used a 9" zipper instead of the suggested 22".
I used a synthetic taffeta from Hancock. It cut and sewed decently, but just touching it caused it to wrinkle like crazy. If I were to make a dress like this again, I'd want to use a silk faille.
But the turquoise color is fabulous though and looks great on her!