Readying myself for Spring! Pantone calls this color, this year -- Lemon Zest!
All of last spring and summer, I wanted this yellow blazer. I even cut it out. But somehow I became distracted and this project fell by the wayside. But nevertheless, I rediscovered it bagged away and decided it was the perfect time to revisit it. Well, this is Simplicity 2446.
This is an Amazing Fit pattern from Simplicity, so it's chocked full of great tips for the novice jacket sewer. I have my own point of references I use. The pattern was drafted in a great way. I could truly see this one as becoming my tried-and-true blazer pattern.
Since this pattern offers cup sizes, there was no need for the dreaded FBA. So I cut the C cup and kept it moving. This is the so-called longer version of what was offered, so I decided not to lengthen and to see if I liked it. Since this pattern is drafted with 1" seam allowances in all of the important places, I just nipped/tucked and tweaked as needed. This was my first time sewing this pattern and I truly detest making a muslin, so this became my "test garment".
Maybe I'm weird, but muslins just don't do it for me. I have to have a fully completed garment to tell what adjustments need to be made. With a muslin, I can't tell if the pockets will lay flat or how the jacket will actually wear, especially after the lining has been inserted. If it's a pattern I really like, I don't mind making it all over again. Like a plan on doing with this one.
The fabric is a 100% cotton twill from my stash. I can't remember where it was purchased... I should really label the fabric before I fold it away. The lining is Bemberg from Joanns and so are the buttons.
I love a jacket pattern with a 2-piece vented sleeve.
Here is the faux pocket flap and the inseam pocket.
As of right now, I have another version of this jacket already cut out and ready to sew. This time, I'm making a couple of changes:
- I lengthened the body of the jacket by 1 inch.
- I lengthened the sleeves by 1 inch.
- I decided to omit the inseam unusable pockets.
- I plan on trying to refine the fit of the back of the jacket, by tapering a little more at the waist.
- And I'm going to decide if I really like this two-button style or if I should modify it to a single-button closure.
- And also, I'm going to add a fourth button to the sleeve vent. I have long arms so there's plenty of room.
So there's no question of will I make this again. The real question is how many will I make. I have another jacket pattern cut out, that has more advanced details (i.e. welt pockets) that I'll tackle after this next one. But who knows, maybe I'll end up combining the two and creating my own pattern.