Simplicity 4045 - ~The LBD~4:55 PM
Pattern: Simplicity 4045 - View A
Fashion Fabric - Textured Knit
Underlining - Polyester Interlock
I was inspired to do this dress by all of the baby doll and trapeze shapes that were on the RTW runway for Spring '07. Also, I saw that my blogging buddy Chanel over at Hip Candy had refashioned a black mini and I knew that I had to have one too.
I had had this pattern in my stash for months, but it was something about it that just didn't 'pop' for me. After I saw an array of babydolls hit the runway, I decided that this pattern had potential. I did a few modifications to get the look that I wanted.
- With the fabric I chose, it was quite flimsy and transparent, so I underlined it with polyester interlock so I wouldn't have to be bothered with wearing a slip.
- I trimmed the front and back neckband by an inch off of the top so that I could achieve more of a scooped neck which is much more flattering (on me) than the original.
- Instead of using the suggested gathers in the center, I decided to use pleats instead... again more flattering on me.
- I cut the dress in a size 14 and gradually brought it out to a size 18, below the waist for more of an a-line cut.
- I cut the bottom off 4 inches so that it would be an actual mini-dress.