So, did you buy any sale patterns yet?
Friday, January 29, 2010
So, did you buy any sale patterns yet?
Wednesday, January 20, 2010
I always have to add dressy dresses to my closet. I've never been one to wait until the last minute when I have an event I need to attend to sew something. Sewing under pressure just never works out for me and is usually an EPIC FAIL! I really like the next three and they would be fabulous special occasion pieces. A woman must be prepared!
Tuesday, January 19, 2010
Pattern: Vogue 1092 Tracy Reese
Pattern Sizing: 4 - 18, I cut the 16.
Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it? With the exception that my stripes were closer in width, yes it did!
Fabric: Black wool blend with chalk line pinstripes
Were the instructions easy to follow? For this to be an "ADVANCED" pattern, it was quite simple to construct. Once you piece together the skirt front, it sews together like any other pencil skirt. That is if you over look the matching of the stripes which I think I did a pretty good job with.
What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern? I love all things Tracy Reese (and I can't wait to get the new patterns from her)! I only made the skirt because I knew I would get more wear out of it than both pieces. The only thing I didn't like about the skirts were the buckles at the waistband. I omitted those. I like having the option of wearing different belts and those buckles would have just been in the way. I also thought that the godet at the back vent and the french tacks at the side seams were nice details.
Pattern Alterations or any design changes you made: I lengthened the hemline by 3 inches.
Would you sew it again? No, one of these is enough.
Monday, January 18, 2010
Sunday, January 17, 2010
Comfortable, flattering pants can be challenging to make—but they’re wonderful to wear. In this book, David Coffin provides his inventive, sure-fire methods for getting it right.
With his characteristic precision and straight talk—and with the help of photographs, drawings, and a series of video sequences on the accompanying DVD—Coffin teaches the reader how to get great results, whether making a showcase garment or just whipping out an everyday pair.
Do you have this book? If so, what do you think of it?
Monday, January 04, 2010
1. My Acer Aspire One Netbook - This little thing is hardly ever out of my hands. It's so small that I take it EVERYWHERE! It fits perfectly on the kitchen counter and most importantly, next to my sewing machine!
2. My T-Mobile G1 Android Phone - I can't always be on my netbook. But the internet junkie that I am had to have it on the go. I take my email, internet browser, Facebook, Twitter and Youtube on the road!
3. My Nikon D40 - As you may remember, this was my birthday gift and I've fallen head over heels in love with it. I've taken an entry-level photography class, bought a great book (Nikon D40/D40X Field Guide), bought another lens and a couple of filters.
4. My Nikon ML-L3 Wireless Remote - If you've ever had to wait until someone was available to take a picture of you so that you can blog about the fabulous garment you've just sewn, you understand why this would make my list. This little doohickey plus my tripod is a timesaver. Now I can take my OWN photos when I want to!
5. Nars Highlighting/Bronzing Blush Duo - I've been addicted to this for months! You can get that "fresh from the beach" glow. The colors I use are Or.ga.sm Blush and Laguna Bronzer.
6. Relastin Skin Revitalizer - Well, I'm not getting any younger and it's time to start preventive measures. This is an excellent product that really does what it says. I've notice fine lines have disappear since I began using.
7. Frederic Fekkai Brilliant Glossing Cream - One of the best hair products I've ever used. I am completely addicted to it!
8. OPI - Black Cherry Chutney - Since the beginning of Fall, this has been my favorite nail color. Everytime I visit my manicurist, this is the one I grab!
9. An Argentinian Malbec - My guilty pleasure!
10. My Sewing Room - My personal sanctuary!
Saturday, January 02, 2010
I'll be making the dress AND the jacket! That's very cute and very me!
Simplicity 2446 - Amazing Fit Jacket
The McCall's... which are on sale at Jo-Anns:
You can't go wrong with a great shirt pattern or...
I love the pants and the top and thought this would be perfect for Mikaela! She liked it too!
- Erica B.
- Welcome to my DIY Style blog! How many times have you seen clothes in an upscale department store or a posh boutique and cringed at the sight of the price tag? I've done it many times and have said to myself, "I could make that"! While reading my fashion sewing blog, you'll share with me in my adventures in taking "boring" patterns from drab to fab by creating "inspired" looks pulled straight from those boutiques, the runway and fashion magazines. Also my adventure in learning to tailor and couture sewing techniques.
As much as I've been enjoying color, I couldn't stay away from black too long. And as I start thinking about fall clothing, a ...
Today is my sweet baby girl's 18th birthday. It's also compounded with dorm shopping and lots of college prep currently going on. ...
Vogue 1288 has been on my to sew list for a while. So long, that the pattern is currently out-of-print. I knew from the beginning that...
Last Thursday, I attended a mixer at Collage Designer Consignment store for this year's Bloganista Mini-Con presented by See Jane Wri...
In my ongoing effort to keep adding bright colors to my wardrobe, here are another pair of brightly hued trousers. We're going to go...
- ► 2015 ( 46 )
- ► 2014 ( 77 )
- ► 2013 ( 83 )
- ► 2012 ( 107 )
- ► 2011 ( 101 )
- ▼ 2010 ( 65 )
- ► 2009 ( 75 )
- ► 2008 ( 128 )
- ► 2007 ( 160 )
- ► 2006 ( 142 )
- This blog contains affiliate links, which means I receive compensation if you make a purchase using these links.