- "Couture Sewing Techniques, Revised & Updated"
- Paperback: 240 pages
- Publisher: Taunton Press; Second Edition edition (May 24, 2011)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 1600853358
- ISBN-13: 978-1600853357
The world of haute couture is a place where only a privileged few can ever hope to reside, right? Wrong. Fashion historian Claire B. Shaeffer opened the door to this exclusive realm in her authoritative guide to the techniques that define couture sewing. And now, the industry bible, Couture Sewing Techniques, has been revised and updated throughout — with new photos and a chapter on specialty fabrics. No one can unravel couture garment construction the way Schaeffer can, from the art of hand sewing to mastering edge finishes, from classic closures to shaping a garment for a perfect fit. Readers learn all the basics — and more importantly: how to apply the techniques — on skirts and sleeves, pockets and jackets, evening gowns, and more. Gorgeous photos, clear illustrations, and concise language combine to make this the most complete couture-sewing course available.
I thought about doing a comprehensive "review" of this book. But I don't think that's necessary. We ALL know that Claire B. Shaeffer's original "Couture Sewing Techniques" book is the go to source for REAL couture sewing! Not neat RTW finishing effects, but actual couture! So this book has just been re-vamp and it is a MUST HAVE for those of us that like to keep our sewing game "stepped up".
This book is divided into two parts:
Part One - "The Basics of Couture Sewing"
- Chapter 1 - Inside the World of Haute Couture
- Chapter 2 - The Art of Hand Sewing
- Chapter 3 - Shaping the Garment
- Chapter 4 - Edge Finishes
- Chapter 5 - Closures
Part Two - "Applying Couture Techniques"
- Chapter 6 - Skirts & Pants
- Chapter 7 - Blouses & Dresses
- Chapter 8 - Sleeves
- Chapter 9 - Pockets
- Chapter 10 - Jackets & Coats
- Chapter 11 - Designing with Fabric
- Chapter 12 - Special Occasions
I also purchased her DVD: