Vogue 2732 - Project: Homecoming - The Finale!7:10 PM
Pattern: Vogue 2732
Fabric: black bridal satin
Lining: 100% polyester basic lining fabric
- 18" invisible zipper
- 4 3/4 yds of boning
- 1 1/2 yds of 5/8" grosgrain ribbon
- 1 yd of 1" grosgrain ribbon
- 5 yds of 5/8" sequin trim
- hooks and eyes
- seam binding
- embroidery thread
- hem tape
- bra cups
I chose this dress for my 15 year old daughter's homecoming dance. I cut the bodice is a size 6 flaring out to a size 8 at the waistline. I cut the skirt in a size 8. Amber is 5'3", so I made the petite adjustment on the bodice by reducing the length by 1". Also, we decided against a floor length skirt and cut it down to tea length.
- Underlined the 16 bodice pieces with the netting.
- Sewed them together, pressed all seams to the right.
- Topstitched the right side 3/8" from the seamline with the embroidery thread.
- Added the boning.
- Handstitched the sequin embellishment to the right side.
- Added the bra cups.
- Sewed lining pieces in the same manner as the bodice.
- Sewed the neckstrap and attached it to the bodice.
- Attached the lining to the bodice.
- Sewed grosgrain ribbon to the inside of the top of the bodice.
- Sewed skirt and skirt lining pieces with french seams.
- Sewed bodice to skirt.
- Handstitched invisible zipper with tiny backstitches.
- Slipstitched lining to zipper tape and bodice lining to skirt lining.
- Added hook and eye above zipper.
- Added dress hangers using 1/4" wide bias twill tape.
- Added a waist stay.
- Allowed dress to hang for 24 hours so bias cut skirt could set.
- Created lining hem by turning edge up 1/2", stitching and repeating.
- Created dress hem by turning edge up 1/2", stitching once, added hem tape by machine stitching to the edge and handstitching hem with prickstitches.
1. Khalje, S. (1997). Bridal couture: Fine sewing techniques for wedding gowns and eveningwear
2. Shaeffer, C.B. (2001). Couture sewing techniques
3. Ciemnoczolowski, R. (2007, Summer). Build a better bust. Sew Stylish, p. 41
4. Keuler, J. (2007, Summer). Secure your shape. Sew Stylish, p. 71